Tuesday, February 26, 2008

playing hooky

Ok, so maybe I took a day off last week even though I already had Monday off as a holiday (president's day) but the weather was just too perfect to spend the whole week (ok, the 4-day work-week) in doors. So I burned a vacation day to go to one of my favorite places - I won't mention exactly where, but it's one of the few places I've always gone to when I need a break from city-life without having to drive for more than 45 minutes.

I used to hate this beach as a kid because during the summers, it was always too rocky and stick-y to walk around. In the winter though, the shoreline is scattered with all kinds of little shells, filled with little critters walking around in the little tide pools. There was this bird showing off for me, fluffing his feathers so of course I took a few photos of him and, as it turns out, he may very well be an albatross (according to my know-it-all boss) which I guess is a somewhat rare sighting around these parts - sort of like an LA native around here these days.



5 comments:

Georgia Hardstark said...

Did you know I've still never eaten at [secret place]???!

leah said...

WHAT??? I henceforth disown you!!!

JK, and also, the boss looked this bird up and was pretty let down to discover that he is merely a Juvenile Double Crested Cormorant and not an Albatross, as he originally thought. Juvenile Delinquent Crested Cormorant is more like it...

Anonymous said...

Neptunes Net?

leah said...

Way to ruin everything, anonymous. At least Georgia had the good sense not to mention it, though she did completely blow the lid off my other favorite secret place by writing a whole blog-post about it. I suppose this isn't quite as bad...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous like to ruin things, like scientology.

http://www.dlisted.com/node/25141